Brooks Instrument is an industry leader in flow measurement and flow control products for critical applications, and a division of ITW (A Fortune 200 Company) is seeking candidates for a Senior Embedded Firmware
Engineer as part of the Engineering team. This highly visible position will be based out of our Fremont, CA office. In addition to our Fremont, CA office, our facility is headquartered in Hatfield, PA (Suburban Philadelphia). Brooks
also maintains manufacturing locations in, Hungary, France and Japan. The Company has sales offices throughout the world and its products are used in laboratory and process applications in end markets such as: life sciences, chemicals, semiconductor, analytical
instruments, nuclear, and solar cells.
Please visit our website at www.brooksinstrument.com
The Senior Embedded Firmware Engineer is responsible for the design, development and support of real-time embedded firmware for the Brooks Instrument technology team. The successful candidate must be self-directed, highly motivated, and organized with strong
analytical thinking and problem-solving skills. The candidate must be able to plan, schedule, design and implement project engineering efforts related to firmware and algorithm architecture of flow instruments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create new firmware and algorithm architecture and control technologies (sensors, valves, meter bodies, flow elements, enclosures, etc.). Obtain allocated design talent (internal or external) to maintain project timing and budgets.
- Apply knowledge of computer architectures, real-time operating systems, and programming languages to develop and implement new real-time embedded firmware for flow measurement and control products to support business requirements.
- Develop firmware code to implement the control architectures. Debug software/firmware as needed.
- Directly plan product test processes, working with manufacturing and service organizations to implement and validate them in production.
- Work with hardware engineers in selecting hardware components. Oversee the writing of capital authorization requests (AR's), and work with the financial organization to ensure compliance with procedures and guidelines for capital projects.
- Work with Marketing and project teams to define detailed firmware requirements to meet customers’ needs.
- Efficiently resolve technical challenges through debugging, research, and investigation.
- Develop, implement, and release automated test procedures for firmware validation.
- Train the global Engineering staff in the use of select engineering and business systems.
- Promote effective teamwork and high employee productivity in a global environment.
- Support Company continuous improvement initiatives, particularly as related to product quality.
- Assign technical personnel to tasks; follow up on tasks; perform personnel reviews.
- Market and Engineering design requirements gathering.
- Design verification and validation testing of new designs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Practical knowledge of embedded design development tools and industry best practices for code development, documentation, and test.
- Knowledge of embedded electronics including analog, digital and firmware aspects.
- Familiarity with industrial communication protocols (e.g., EtherCAT, CIP, Profibus, Modbus, Foundation Fieldbus).
- Working knowledge of requirements management, change management, and configuration management tools.
- Ability to read schematics and component datasheets.
- Working knowledge of test and measurement equipment for debug, research, and validation.
- Penchant for critical thinking and problem solving – thinks laterally as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take on multiple concurrent assignments under minimal supervision.
- Self-starter with initiative and drive to develop high quality code within the time and budget constraints of the project.
- Strong interpersonal skills, desire to learn, and an effective team player in a global environment.
- Ability to follow all safety procedures.
Education and Experience
- BS Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or closely related Engineering degree required, MS degree preferred.
- 3+ years of industry experience developing complex embedded software systems programming in C and/or C++ required, other programming languages a plus.
- Experience with ARM microcontrollers and real-time operating systems required.
- Experience with System Engineering and modeling a plus (MatLab/Simulink/Embedded Coder).
- Experience with mass flow control systems and/or other control systems highly desirable
Our employees enjoy competitive, merit-based salary plus excellent benefits including:
- Health and dental insurance
- Company Paid Life Insurance / Short and Long Term Disability
- 401K plan with generous company match
- Vacation, personal days and holidays
- Continuing education reimbursement program
- Flexible spending accounts
The opportunity to join a well established (70 + years in business) yet dynamically changing organization that works together as a team to meet the challenges of satisfying customers’ needs and managing rapid growth to better compete in a global marketplace.
ITW Company Overview
ITW was built on innovation and the strength of new ideas. These values have helped us expand into multiple platforms in nearly 60 countries. But at each of our businesses, the independent entrepreneurial spirit and freedom to innovate remain strong. It’s the
highly talented people at ITW businesses all over the world who drive our success through new products and customer driven solutions. Together, we are ITW—a Fortune 200 company that has prospered for 100 years, and changed the way people live and work, all
over the world.
Brooks Instrument is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without required to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.