GLOBAL INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) DIRECTOR
POSITION AND CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION
Brooks Instrument (www.brooksinstrument.com
), an industry leader in flow and pressure instrumentation for critical applications, is seeking candidates for a
Global Information Technology (IT) Director
. This position is based out of our headquarters facility in Hatfield, PA (Suburban Philadelphia). The company has manufacturing, sales and service offices located around the world.
Our products are used in laboratory and process applications in end markets such as: life sciences, petrochemical, semiconductor, LED, alternative energy, and analytical instruments.
Brooks is a division of ITW (Illinois Tool Works), a fortune 150 company. ITW is one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses. The company has Information Technology
in 56 countries and employs approximately 51,000 employees. These talented employees, many of whom have specialized engineering or scientific expertise, contribute to ITW’s global leadership in innovation. The company is proud of its broad portfolio of nearly
10,000 active patents, and is focused on fully leveraging its highly differentiated business model to deliver solid growth with consistent best-in-class margins and return on capital.
Reporting to the Global Finance Director, this role is responsible for management of all aspects of information technology at Brooks Instrument. The Global IT Director will provide leadership for the people and systems that support business processes, along
with communication and networking tools. This position will ensure the proper evaluation, development, implementation, operation, and monitoring of company and corporate technology and information systems globally. This will include but is not limited to:
hardware and software selection and purchases, project management of system implementations, and overseeing the general operations and security of Brooks information assets. This position will work interface with members of Brooks management to provide business
justifications and drive system implementations. He / She will manage, direct, and implement the IT strategic plan and objectives needed to support the various business activities at Brooks Instrument. They will work via internal matrix management relationships
with key business unit and support functions. The use of Continuous Improvement Processes (CIP) and Key Performance Metrics (KPM’s) will be required to ensure consistent achievement of business targets. Most importantly, the Global Information Technology
Director is responsible for building, coaching and developing a strong team that can help the company to achieve both short and long-term objectives of the organization.
- Oversee global team of 15 experienced internal IT professionals along with external consultants
- Oversee support of primary business systems and functional applications to include ensuring effective application, network, and equipment helpdesk support.
- Provide leadership for developing short and long-range planning roadmap for all technology initiatives.
- Translate long-range strategic objectives into executable near-term actions as they pertain to establishing project budgets, resource plans, milestones, tracking metrics, and success measures.
- Own project leadership for cross-functional execution of global IT initiatives.
- Partner with commercial / operations leaders to identify, articulate and deliver effective business solutions.
- Manage company’s IT capital investment requirements as part of broader goal to enhance standards, policies and practices related to the development and purchase of equipment, software, and related media.
- Negotiate, evaluate, and manage IT-related consulting and software maintenance agreements
- Responsible for compliance with parent company IT security requirements and software license agreements
- Maintain knowledge of emerging technologies to evaluate new solutions and assess their relevance or potential value to the organization
- Own IT disaster recovery plan in conjunction with the business continuity plan
- Provide the management team with business justifications associated with strategic projects and programs which will drive efficiency by integrating technology as part of an overall continuous improvement program.
- Hire, coach, mentor, and develop talent within Brooks in accordance with current department requirements and anticipated future needs. This includes being well-versed in industry standards in technology integration, computer skills curriculum, and understanding
business issues and opportunities.
- Collaborate with other Brooks, ITW segment and corporate leaders to enable robust career paths, and build a diverse, high performing organization.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for Brooks Instrument information related to trends, research, applications, and effective dissemination of information via technology.
Critical Competencies for Success
- Professional Experience – Minimum of 10 years of Information Technology leadership experience at the mid-to upper management level.
- Education: Undergraduate degree in Information Technology or a related field of study from an accredited college is required. Advanced degree in business or Information Technology is strongly preferred.
- Leadership - Proven experience building and developing high performing teams. Proficiency leading and motivating teams to achieve stated objectives. Significant cross-functional, project or technical leadership experience with demonstrated results
is strongly desired
- Functional Experience – A recognized expert in IT systems and practices with a comprehensive understanding of technology, business application, and architecture for manufacturing and business support systems.
- Project Management - Strong background in system development and implementation lifecycles. Proven track record of successfully managing cross-functional projects to include global ERP introductions.
- Industry Experience – Demonstrated experience working in an IT leadership capacity supporting the needs of internal and external customers in a manufacturing environment.
- Communications - Excellent communications skills, both verbal and in writing, required. This should include demonstrated proficiency with facilitation and team leadership.
- Travel - Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 15% on annual as needed basis.
- Technology - In addition to a, there should be excellent practical knowledge with:
- Hardware: Windows Servers, local and wide area networks, internet, intranets, PC desktop, laptops, printers and scanners.
- Software: SharePoint, Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project
- Databases: Microsoft Access, SQL, Oracle and Siemens TeamCenter
- Programming languages: ASP.Net, C#.Net, Java, SQL Server Skills
Interested candidates should apply on-line via the job posting on the “Careers” page of the Brooks Instrument website.
- Constructive Team Leader – Leads by example and makes those around them better. Should be inclusive, hands-on, strategic, articulate, energetic, accountable, decisive, and hard working. A positive motivator who encourages and persuades, and an
excellent team builder who knows how to attract talent, remove obstacles without alienating others, train, manage, reward, recognize, and retain a world class team.
- Drive for Results – An aggressive, action-oriented individual who, at the same time, is the consummate team player who can effectively negotiate with others to achieve win-win outcomes. Steadfastly pushes self and others for results and can be
counted on to routinely exceed goals successfully.
- Technical Proficiency - Must have proven success in developing and implementing IT systems and should have demonstrated ability to manage and lead a team of highly skilled internal and external resources to ensure that the company is delivering
on IT objectives.
- Excellent Communication Skills – Maintains an open flow of two-way communication, exhibiting strong verbal, written and presentation skills, stating expectations clearly and being visible to all stakeholders. Exhibits executive presence in front
of both internal and external audiences. Being a good listener is a critical success factor.
- Strategic Agility – Anticipates future consequences and trends and articulates credible pictures of possibilities. Knowledgeable and future oriented with a focus on developing breakthrough strategies.
- Organizational Agility – Knowledgeable about how organizations work, and figures out how to get things done through formal and informal channels. Organized multi-tasker who uses time and resources efficiently and effectively to manage multiple
activities at once to accomplish a goal.
Brooks Instrument is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without required to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.