GLOBAL OPERATIONS DIRECTOR
Brooks Instrument (www.brooksinstrument.com
), an industry leader in flow and pressure instrumentation for critical applications, is seeking candidates for a
Global Operations Director
. This position will be based out of our global headquarters in Hatfield, PA (Suburban Philadelphia). The company has manufacturing, sales and service offices located around the world. Our products
are used in laboratory and process applications in end markets such as: life sciences, petrochemical, semiconductor, LED, alternative energy, and analytical instruments.
Brooks is a division of ITW (Illinois Tool Works), a fortune 150 company. ITW is one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses. The company has operations in 56 countries
and employs approximately 51,000 employees. These talented employees, many of whom have specialized engineering or scientific expertise, contribute to ITW’s global leadership in innovation. The company is proud of its broad portfolio of nearly 10,000 active
patents, and is focused on fully leveraging its highly differentiated business model to deliver solid growth with consistent best-in-class margins and return on capital.
Reporting to the VP & GM, the Global Operations Director is responsible for providing management oversight for all the Brooks manufacturing / production operations to maximize efficiency, on time delivery performance and operational excellence. They will also
be responsible for oversight of all supply chain and strategic sourcing activities. He / She will manage, direct, and implement the operational strategic plan and objectives needed to support the various business units at Brooks Instrument. He / She will
work via internal matrix management relationships with key support functions including Business Unit Management, Engineering, Customer Service and Sales. The use of Continuous Improvement Processes (CIP) and Key Performance Metrics (KPM’s) will be required
to ensure consistent achievement of business targets and reliable flow of products to meet customer demand. Most importantly, the Global Operations Director is responsible for building, coaching and developing a strong team that can help the company to achieve
both short and long-term objectives of the organization.
- Evaluate current production and support operations to identify areas for improvement.
- Review and upgrade as needed the standards, processes, workflows, and methods needed to support and enable highly productive and efficient work cells.
- Review, develop and approve short and long-range strategies for improving cost structure, process quality, lead-times, on time delivery, manufacturing efficiency and asset utilization.
- Implement, monitor and report on key manufacturing and operational metrics.
- Lead, develop and motivate operations and facilities personnel to provide a productive and safe environment.
- Support daily gemba activities and assure actions are taken to address operational performance issues.
- Manage and direct the team to utilize the ITW tool box methods to drive operational improvement.
- Effectively oversee the management of material planning, purchasing, inventory level setting, grading and dispositions in line with ITW/Brooks objectives. This includes working closely with Finance to support the physical inventory process.
- Interact with department members, other departments, suppliers and customers as necessary to provide direction and resolve problems.
- Prepare presentations, shipping forecasts/updates and communicate all relevant issues and updates to all levels of management.
- Support Operational Excellence, Tool Box and Lean Manufacturing initiatives. This includes, but is not limited to, providing project management, identifying improvement opportunities, and leading improvement teams.
- Actively participate and lead projects supporting systems improvements, upgrades, migrations, etc. This includes any future migration to a new business system.
- Develop, monitor, review and approve budgets, forecasts, operation reports, headcount changes, capital expenditures, etc.
- Support Business Unit Managers operational strategy, driving execution and performance to that strategy.
- Ensure that Operations, Materials Management, and Strategic Sourcing Departments are staffed appropriately and that personnel are developed and trained to perform their duties effectively.
- Ensure conformance to the requirements of the Brooks Quality system.
- Assist customers and Sales Representatives with complaints or problem resolution using the formal customer complaint process when appropriate.
- Support company continuous improvement initiatives.
- Oversee the development and implementation of Brooks Instrument sourcing/ supply chain strategies to harness economies of scale, drive economic value, and enable business growth through the development of Category Strategies and Source plans. Develop these
strategies in close coordination with ITW Corporate Sourcing as well as Brooks Instrument global sites to ensure alignment and leverage of ITW scale.
- Develop and integrate best practice across Brooks, ensure the best use of effective supply chain tools, techniques and processes.
- Coach, mentor, and develop talent within Brooks. Collaborate with other Brooks, ITW segment and corporate leaders to enable robust career paths, and build a diverse, high performing organization.
Critical Competencies for Success
- Professional Experience – Minimum of 10 years of operations leadership experience at the mid-to upper management level. Proven experience leading teams involving production operations, strategic sourcing, materials management, safety, logistics,
and facilities is strongly desired.
- Functional Experience – A proven leader with a strong working knowledge of and experience implementing continuous improvement focused manufacturing methods is required. Familiarity with and certifications related to the DMAIC/Six Sigma problem
solving processes is preferred.
- Industry Experience – Experience working in or supporting customers in fields such as: petro-chemical, biotech/pharmaceutical, food & beverage, alternative energy, or analytical instruments would be preferable.
- Education: BSME, BSEE, BSIE, or the equivalent technical degree from an accredited college is required. Advanced degree in business or operations is preferred.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and in writing, required.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint required.
- Constructive Team Leader – Leads by example and makes those around him/her better. Attributes include being inclusive, hands-on, strategic, articulate, energetic, accountable, decisive, and hard working. A positive motivator who encourages and
persuades, and an excellent team builder who knows how to attract talent, remove obstacles without alienating others, train, manage, reward, recognize, and retain a world class team.
- Entrepreneurial – Able to work without substantial infrastructure. Must have the ability to “zoom-in and out,” to dive in to the trenches at one moment and tackle strategy the next.
- Technical Proficiency - Must have proven success in developing and implementing quality systems and should have demonstrated ability to manage and lead a team of highly skilled internal and external resources to ensure that the company is providing
high quality innovative and high-performing products.
- Excellent Communication Skills – Maintains an open flow of two-way communication, exhibiting strong verbal, written and presentation skills, stating expectations clearly and being visible to all stakeholders. Exhibits executive presence in front
of both internal and external audiences. Being a good listener is a critical success factor.
- Impeccable Integrity – Embodies and practices unquestioned personal and business integrity. Recognized as a highly credible business leader. Creates an environment of trust by acting with fairness and consistency, keeping commitments, and providing
rationale for decisions.
Interested candidates should apply on-line via the job posting on the “Careers” page of the Brooks Instrument website.
- Team Player with Maturity – An aggressive, results-oriented individual who, at the same time, is the consummate team player who can effectively negotiate with others to achieve win-win outcomes. He/She will be well respected by senior management,
peers, and subordinates, and will be secure in his or her technical and managerial abilities.
- Open Minded – A resilient and committed leader with a flexible and open operating style; non-political and non-bureaucratic; someone with a natural and effective consultative approach who will gain the trust and respect of individuals at all levels.
Brooks Instrument is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without required to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.